Jim Owles Liberal Democratic Club
Minutes, March 17, 2018, 10am
I. Candidate Interviews
• Jerald Nadler (10th Congressional District)
• Liz Krueger (28th State Senate District)
• Jose Serrano (29th State Senate District)
• Brad Hoylman (27th State Senate District)
• Robert Jackson (31st State Senate District)
• Zellnor Myrie (20th State Senate District)
• Louis Supulveda (32nd State Senate District)
• Joanne Simon (52nd Assembly District)
• Alessandra Biaggi (34th State Senate District)
II. Board members Paul Smith-Leonard, Allen Roskoff, Dan Roskoff and Christian Campbell met with 19th Congressional District candidates and recommended endorsement of Brian Flynn. Brian Flynn was endorsed.
III. Candidate Endorsements
• Gerald Nadler (10th Congressional District) - Unanimous
• Liz Krueger (28th State Senate District) - Unanimous
• Jose Serrano (29th State Senate District) - Unanimous
• Brad Hoylman (27th State Senate District) - Unanimous
• Robert Jackson (31st State Senate District) - Unanimous
• Zellnor Myrie (20th State Senate District) - Unanimous
• Joanne Simon (52nd Assembly District) - Unanimous
• Louis Supulveda (32nd Assembly District) -No Endorsement
• David Weprin (24th Assembly District) – Unanimous- Endorsed in Absentia
• Brian Flynn (19th Congressional District) – 90% in favor, 10% abstain
IV. Board of Governors: Unanimous vote to add Barbara Reuther to the Board of Governors
V. Discussion of transfer of Manhattan CB2 member Tom Connor from the SLA Committee to Senior Committee. Tom Connor, a Board of Governor member, described the verbal harassment he experienced from the Manhattan CB2 SLA Committee Chair and his subsequent unrequested transfer, by board president Teri Cude, from the SLA Committee to the Senior Issues Committee. Allen indicated that several other SLA Committee members also witnessed the harassment and intimidation. Tom, Allen and other Board of Governor members also discussed CB2’s frequent actions against night-life activities. Allen recommended that we seek to create a video (or documentary, if feasible) about CB2’s anti-night life activities and indicated, with Board’s concurrence, that the organization would take a variety of actions to protest CB2s anti-night life stances.
VI. Anti-Gun Violence March, March 24th: Allen encouraged everyone to be a part of the Club’s contingent in the Anti-Gun march.
VII. Kate Waterman spoke about upcoming potential Judicial selection processes and thanked the Board of Governors for its previous support of her Judicial candidacy
VIII. Election of Connor Lamb: Allen and Dan Roskoff and board member Kathleen Chalfant and her husband travelled to Pittsburg to campaign for Connor Lamb. Allen and Dan also encouraged future club trips to campaign for progressive candidates.
IX. New York State Black and Hispanic Caucus Allen attended New York State Black and Hispanic Caucus, representing the club.
X. Discussion of Civilian Complaint Review Board: Ydarian Castillo from the Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB) spoke about the CCRB’s role and the process for filing a case. She indicated that their recommendations related to police disciplinary actions can be overruled by the Police Commissioner, who has ultimately makes the decision. She indicated that the CCRB was seeking to increase public understanding and utilization of the CCRB.
XI. June 4th Jim Owles Club Fundraiser will be at a midtown restaurant –
The meeting was adjourned at 4:45pm